Monday, January 31, 2011

Echoes By: Danielle Steel

So it is pretty sad when I can't remember what my favorite book is called or what the content of it was. But with a little help from Facebook I was able to find one. There are not many books that I ultimately love. Books with romance and are during past wars somehow find me and win my heart. The Magic of Ordinary Days is written by Ann Creel and set during WWII but Echoes is set in WWI and ends through WWII.

WWI is the most interesting time periods to place characters because there are so many sides to place them. Steel places her characters on all sides.  Jewish, French, Catholic, German, and they travel all over to escape danger. Unlike most books, Echoes follows 2 generations of families. She describes different family members dying and what their thoughts and feelings are.

The book begins with a rich and highly acknowledged Jewish family and ends with a love story that took even my breath away. One Jewish character gave up everything to marry a Catholic. Even after converting, her family will later face the charges of her past. They will meet unlikely people and face the worst fears of their lives. My favorite controversies are between the men the women characters meet. When I finally ended the book I thought to myself with years of one faith, men can change a woman's heart, mind, and soul. Women, men, and families will do anything to be with one another no matter the cost and no matter what obstacle is put in front of them.

This is a book that I found on the bathroom floor one day. I picked it up and after the first paragraph I was in another world. I highly recommend this book to anyone.

If you find this book interesting click Danielle Steel to go to her website. Under her bookshelf is a ginormous list of her books with descriptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment