Summary:
My reading began with Livvy talking about insanity. Being there only a week she compares herself to the early settlers who went insane from seclusion. She later opens a gift from of sister. It was two pairs of earrings, and she thought where would she wear them to now? Since Ray is a farmer, Livvy only sees him before sunrise and after sunset. Leaving her too clean all day. They needed groceries so they went to the town nearest to them. Along the way, Livvy finds that Ray is very bashful. Reminding her of the boys in high school who never went on dates and never became comfortable talking to women. She also notices Japanese-Americans working in the fields. She becomes curious.
When in town, Livvy sees a plethora of posters regarding the war. She also becomes fascinated in the town history. Complementing that it's the oldest town in the state and adores the familiar smell of the library. But while walking there she remembers the poster "loose lips sink ships" because no one notices her, because she is a newcomer. After almost correcting Ray's grammar, her curiosity gets the better of her. She searches the farm and finds a dog, and in a shed she discovers old tools that belonged to Ray's parents. Later that day, they attend dinner at Martha's. There Martha fascinates Livvy by telling her that her and Ray's grandfather traveled from New York in 1870 and rigorously started their farm. Also while at dinner, Ruth becomes fond of the way Livvy dresses, does her hair, and of where she came from.With the outside world pushed away Livvy found her time occupied by cleaning and reading old newspaper. But the newspaper brought despair because of the horrifying news of the war. Jews everywhere were dying giving Livvy great concern but Ray unmoved emotion. This reminded Livvy of before when she had to ration what she had. To please Ray, Livvy stayed away from farming because he seemed uneasy when she asked to tag along. While walking with Franklin (the dog) on her heals, Livvy came across two girls studying something in a notebook next to the other Japanese workers. Later they were named Lorelei and Rose. They study and log different butterflies. This gave Livvy excitement and maybe new friends.
Response:
Starting out the chapter on the subject of insanity sort of made me scared for the well-being of Livvy. I know she is in the middle of no where but she at least has Ray. He has been alone for awhile and seems perfectly fine. I would be pretty bored if I had a husband gone for the majority of the day and nothing to do but clean. The part describing Ray being embarrassed and bashful made the book even more interesting. Nothing is better than a boy who entirely too nice and bashful! The posters in the town really helped to place the setting of the story and Livvy educational aspects came out when she almost corrected Ray's grammar. He is already embarrassed half the time she shouldn't make it worse but correcting him.
The next chapter drew me in because I love hearing the thoughts of history through the eyes of the people who were there and I love nature. The beauty of nature is so realistic it's like being on a mini vacation. Since his brother died Ray probably never wants to hear about the soldiers dying over sea. When I read about the butterflies I wanted to go outside and look for some myself...but it's dark and winter so that wouldn't really work. I am happy to realize that Livvy's insanity will probably end because she met Lorelei and Rose. This also means that the book will speed up to something interesting...I hope!
The next chapter drew me in because I love hearing the thoughts of history through the eyes of the people who were there and I love nature. The beauty of nature is so realistic it's like being on a mini vacation. Since his brother died Ray probably never wants to hear about the soldiers dying over sea. When I read about the butterflies I wanted to go outside and look for some myself...but it's dark and winter so that wouldn't really work. I am happy to realize that Livvy's insanity will probably end because she met Lorelei and Rose. This also means that the book will speed up to something interesting...I hope!

No comments:
Post a Comment