By : Ann Howard Creel
Summary:
My reading began with the peaceful greetings from the people at church. Though Ray and Livvy had to lie about how they met. But later Ray took Livvy to a peaceful day of fishing on a lake where Ray caught and let a fish go. Rose and Lorelei took up Livvy's offer and visited her at her home. There we received insight of the personalities of the girls. They both went to UCLA and Rose was going to major in English while Lorelei only knew she was interested in boys. After a great day of interesting conversation that wasn't about farming, Ray found it peculiar that Livvy was singing while making dinner.
Livvy found it fascinating that the Singleton's had a dugout somewhere on the farm. But Livvy's curiosity was interrupted by another visit from the girls. They took the car in search for butterflies to document. Livvy learned so much about butterflies and more about Rose and Lorelei. Like most sisters do they finished each other sentences. On their way back from the hunt, they caught Livvy off guard by asking if she was pregnant. She realized she was showing and remembered the process of getting there. Her strict father wanted the best for an unwed pregnant woman. She answered yes to being pregnant and for wanting a girl even though she thought the Singletons would want a boy.
Rose and Lorelei came from a family of tailors and promised to make Livvy maternity clothes. While in town and on their way back they saw soldiers and POWs. Livvy learned that the girls on occasion worked with the POWs in the field. POWs' favorite song is called "Don't Fence Me In" which they found ironic. When Livvy returned home, Ray bored her by talking about farming. They started their first argument on the need to save gas and tires because Livvy went "sight seeing". Livvy recalled a law passed in January that was later revoked in September that banned sightseeing to save gas. But the real argument was about Ray's slight grudge toward Japanese people.
Summary:
I have never realized how much I type until I am done. Though this was five short chapters I tried to shorten my summary. It ended up the longer than my usual three. But as I type I think of things I want to comment on and I get excited. Reading to me is a little vacation away from the stresses of other homework that is still waiting for me.
I loved hearing about Lorelei's obsession with boys because I think (know) this will have a part to play later in the book. When the girls were explain butterflies I couldn't help but keep reading and learn more myself. I love flowers and butterflies because each flower or butterfly is unique. Also, when I found out that the girls could sew I was even more happy. They have a Singer sewing machine and so do I! The farming talk bored me but when they started talking about internment camps it brought back memories of me sitting in history learning about that era. I love history class.
So since they mention the song "Don't Fence Me In" and I found out it was by Bing Crosby! He is my favorite! FYI: it took me like a half an hour to format the picutres and video...Blogger needs a better way of doing it.
![]() |
| This is what mine looks like. |
![]() |
| Theirs probably looked something similar to this one. |


Super blog; great reading logs here, personal and thoughtful.
ReplyDeleteJust a reminder re: the reading . . we can't log reading done for other classes, so Jane Eyre doesn't "count" for Etymology. I'm sure you'll be able to keep up, though.