Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mistaken Identity Pg. 181-220

Written by Don and Susie Van Ryn and Newell, Colleen, And Whitney Cerak with Mark Tabb
Summary:
My reading began with the Van Ryns waiting for the brothers to return home to break the news that Laura died in the accident. They didn't want to break the news to them over the phone because the news was just to big and heartbreaking. This situation reminded some of the family members of the time when their cousin, Mylissa, died in a similar crash. After the boys came home, they awaited the phone from the dentist to confirm the dental records. While waiting, they recalled memories of Laura of how she was never mean to anybody.

Newell in the following chapter was once again away on a trip when he got the call that his daughter was really alive. The other members of the family met the Van Ryns in the hospital to catch up on Whitney and her condition. When word got out about the mix up, news shows such as ABC and the Today Show called the Ceraks. Later in Whitney's room, Whitney's sisters and mother noticed all the scars her body and realized what she had been through. They wondered what a difference it would have made to look at the body they buried underground. During this time Newell is still not back but Whitney is waiting impatiently for him to get home.

News spread, and reporters were going directly to the Van Ryns house. Soon people representing Oprah and Dr. Phil were calling. Later the Van Ryns invited families of the accident to come over. They all started sharing about their children. Laura's memorial was held later in the chapter and over 2 thousand people attended. Many of Laura's friend wore flip flops because they are Laura's favorite shoe. Also, later in the chapter it talks about Lisa becoming a physical therapist and how their family still wore bandanas to support Whitney until she could walk. The chapter concluded with a touching good-bye letter to Laura from Lisa.

Response:
I thought it was very wise for Mr. Van Ryn not to tell the boys over the phone. I often find it hard to understand emotion and sarcasm in text messages and even over the phone. I knew if I received a phone call like that I would be very confused and in disbelief.

The first thing I thought of when I started reading the second chapter was "dead or alive". It's kind of harsh but like Newell he was gone on trips when her received a phone call saying his daughter is dead and when she was alive. This made his situation even more captivating. I also found the Today show and ABC part funny because Newell received the calls from them so quickly after he received the news.

I thought the last chapter was more of a closure chapter even though there are three more chapters. I felt good that everyone knew the truth. I also found it touching that the Van Ryns still prayed and wished for Whitney's recovery even though the bandana idea was for Laura. I was searching google and found that Whitney did indeed go on Oprah!
You can see in the background the date April 26 the date of the accident. As I search the internet I picture of them side to side and I can tell how they can be mixed up but I also see many differences in their faces. I love the moments when I discover something new.

I keep looking back at the pictures toward the end of the book. It helps to put a face with name though, towards the beginning I didn't look at them because I have a pet peeve of reading ahead. So I rather just remember the faces I made in my head when I read. But the pictures are still nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment